Monday, December 20, 2010

All over town

So today I ran all over town doing last minute Christmas shopping with my mom. We started the day at Panera Bread for breakfast and talked about Sofia. We went to Things Remembered to get Sofia's "special" ornament - Baby's First Christmas and had it engraved with her name. Tim & I have a plan for Sofia (and all future children) as a Christmas tradition. This was something we had talked about before I even got pregnant. We will buy a special ornament each year for our kids to open and by the time they are old enough to move out they will have a bunch of their own ornaments to take with them and memories of each Christmas to look back on. Just because Sofia isn't here physically doesn't mean she's not getting in on the tradition! Now that she won't be here to celebrate the holiday we've decided we'll still get one for her each year and when we have other kids they will get to open hers and put on Sofia's own special tree. This way, each year we can see how many ornaments are on her tree to remind us of how many years it will have been since she left us. It's a way to keep her spirit alive and for us to be able to include her every year.

Here's her first special ornament:
From Christmas 2010

From Christmas 2010

From Christmas 2010



Another stop today was to purchase some wine for Christmas. I was on a hunt for a specific wine: Sofia Rose. I picked up a bottle of the Sofia Rose as well as Sofia Blanc de Blancs and Sofia Riesling. We normally drink Merlot or Pinot Grigio but I really wanted these bottles & corks for a "project" I'm planning to do with them. These wines are by Francis Coppola and we knew that Sofia Coppola was who the wines were named for. Sofia Coppola is where the spelling of our Sofia Rose came from. We loved the Italian form and it suited her since she is part Italian. Plus it's uncommon. I've always liked that about my own name. Anyway, I think it is pretty cool that they make a Rose wine (pronounced "rose-ay"). The funny thing about having a unique name spelling is that it's usually so hard to find ANYTHING with your name spelled correctly. (I know from years of experience!) But Sofia is lucky - we found this!
From Other Photos
From Other Photos
From Other Photos
From Other Photos
From Other Photos
From Other Photos


We made several other stops throughout the day and the last one was Walmart. Mom went to get some groceries and I went to find a few other items. I was near the picture frames and there was one of those machines that plays random music selections from the CD's for sale. Wouldn't you know a song comes on when I walk by... "Somewhere Over The Rainbow"! It was a beautifully sung version. I just listened to it and of course thought about Sofia. I felt myself starting to get sad then the song switches to "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star". Then I was like, hmm. That is interesting. Then I turned around, toward the machine and right in front of my face is a framed print of a rose. I thought maybe those coincidences were Sofia stopping in to say hello. I of course had eyes welling up with tears. Then I went over to the cards to get a thank you card for someone and as I was reading them I started feeling a rush of emotions coming on. Finally met back up with my mom & told her what had just occurred. We agreed I needed to get the heck out of Walmart! And so, the shopping day came to a close.

Now, to wrap all those gifts...

No comments:

Post a Comment